August 20, 2009

Proud Auntie

I've always said my niece was a remarkable young girl. But since she was the first child in that generation, it was hard to know for sure. Her little brother has since made his appearance and seems to be equally remarkable in every area excluding taste. I'm not his favorite yet. Its something we have to work on, but in the mean time we just have to chalk it up to him not being as well informed as the princess.

The girl's gotta be smart, she told her mommy (my sister) that she wanted to move in with Aunt Boo because Boo would let her have a go Yankees bedroom. See what I'm saying - she's a smart one!

Several months ago, she came home from pre-school announcing that she wanted to donate her hair to sick people. I'm not sure where she heard of the Locks of Love organization, but she was adamant that both she and her mother donate their hair.

Its been a process, because at the time neither of them had hair long enough to donate. Those of you who have young girls can sympathize with my sister trying to manage long hair on a 5 year old.

They struggled, but survived. And today is the big day - their both going for their donation hair cut and I couldn't be prouder!

I love that, even at a young age, my niece is smart and strong enough to decide she wants to do something and see it to the finish.

Using her as inspiration, I've decided to take up Lois's challenge. She's going to run a half marathon early next year and I need to step up to the challenge. I'm going to train for a half in November. Its a twelve week training course recommended by the Shrinking Jeans newest contributor Christie O.

I only have 3 weeks till the race, but that still gives me a week to miss out on a little training. There is a course time limit of 3 hours, but at my worst I run a 12 minute mile, so that would put me done around the 2 1/2 hour mark.

If you were here yesterday, I get a little frustrated when I don't have tangible (non-scale) goals. Hopefully this will help out with that. Can any of you running experts tell me what a "standard deluxe" hill is?

I'll leave you with the quote for the day:

Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby.. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of sh*t.

9 comments:

  1. woo!

    I'm determined to run the 1/2 music city marathon next april...but that's awfully daunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is so beautiful that your niece made that decision. My mom and mother-in-law are both breast cancer survivors, and both have a wig at home that they wore while they were going through chemo so hearing people donating to locks for love is very meaningful for me.

    And I love that quote.

    Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOO HOO!! I am so excited about you doing a halfie!! =D So I should shoot for a 12-min mile run? Sweet.

    Your niece is so precious. What an angel she is. It just really brings tears to my eyes because my grandmother's had cancer three times, and it's nice to see such generosity in such a young child. She's already starting out doing amazing things...even if she is a Yankees fan, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome. Way to go to all the ladies in your family. Good luck with the training.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you! can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when kids take the initiative to make a difference!

    Keep inspiring me - I might just try that 12-week program sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quote of the day. And your niece is quite a little girl. Your family must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your niece sounds incredible! She's someone who's definitely going to make her mark in the world!! I can see why you're so proud of her!

    Love the quote...it made me laugh outloud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHAHAHAA

    seriously that's awesome. and very very true!

    OOh OOh congrats on the new goal! That's awesome! I so KNOW you can do it!!! I ended up doing a 12ish mile and that was just fine with me. and i was exactly at the 2 1/2 hour mark. (no idea what a standard hill is -- i live in flat florida. except for bridges which suck ass.)

    anyhoo, i think your niece has some strong, wonderful women around her that she gets all her smarts from. you should be proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?