April 06, 2009

The Visitation

I had one goal in mind this weekend - chill out and read. Next up on my list was The Visitation by Frank Peretti.. Since its a 500+ page book (and I'm too much of a neat freak to completely abandon my Saturday cleaning schedule) I expected it to slow me down on my goal for the year, but I really enjoyed the last book of his I read so I wanted to give this one a try.

I had envisioned a relaxing evening Friday. At work, I had a major project, and my 5K training program had me running for 20 minutes without stopping! I wanted to be able to come home, poor a glass of wine, fill my jetted tub and relax.

Once I left the gym, I saw that I had several missed calls from Mr. Right - returning his call upset all the plans I had for that evening. A client of his had invited us out to the Dixie Stampede.

We had a great time, but I was only able to read about 15-20 minutes waiting on Mr. Right to get home. I figured Saturday would be perfect for it - I could have my housework finished by noon and I'd have all afternoon to read my book.

Only we slept until noon, and I was cleaning until around 5 Saturday afternoon. When I finally finished, Mr. Right was still in the garage piddling...um cleaning it out. I grabbed a chair from the front porch and sat outside reading for a while.

I kept dinner simple (chimichangas from the freezer with queso dip on top) and read for the remainder of the evening. I wanted to finish the book, but I had around 115 pages left and I just couldn't keep my eyes open any more.

Sunday's ritual is always church, lunch with my parents, then an afternoon nap. I forgot about the nap and finished off the book.

The book has left me with a new problem - it was so good, everything I pick up now pales in comparison.

Are yall reading anything really good right now? I'm about ready to put the library on my list of after work errands, so suggestions would be appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. I've read that one and it's really a good one. I can see why you couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the run go? I ran on Saturday and it was HORRIBLE! My lower body ached and it was super windy outside! Yuck!

    - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in need of new reading material but with baseball season here I have kinda put the reading thing on the back burner, and it's driving me crazy! I love to read but I just don't really have the time right now and I what kind of mom would I be if I brought my book to the ballpark? Tell everyone about the give away! I hope you win, you deserve that Chili dog from Sonic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank Peretti is legit. His writing is real enough that I had nightmares! I'm reading about three books at one time (I know, weird)...I'm reading the 6th Harry Potter book, Standing in the Rainbow (Fannie Flagg - she wrote Fried Green Tomatoes...one of my FAVORITE authors), and A Cure for Dreams (Kaye Gibbons - another unbelievable writer).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to add that book to my list to read! It sounds like a great one for vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still in the Ted Dekker phase...though I was not pleased with the Paradise series. A lil disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen Kingsburry if you want a bit lighter fare. They are shorter but still something you want to finish once you start.

    Dee Henderson has some good books that are a romance/ action combo.

    Peretti sucks me in.... sometimes too much. Have you read all his books? The one about abortion was my favorite. I have "The Visitation" on CD and listened to it on a trip to MI

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have several books waiting on me! You are inspiring me though! :)

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?