July 10, 2012

You ask me; I ask you

I've been struggling to blog since the other site died.  I didn't back it up properly and I feel as if a year's worth of work was lost.  I suppose I feel that way because it was.  I guess I didn't realize just how much my blogging meant to me.

I enjoy working through heavy topics with input from my readers.  The support and encouragement I get from race reports pushes me on to my next fitness goal.  My daily thanks posts help keep perspective in my life.

What I can't decide, however, is where to continue this blog.  Hopefully you've found me since the blog went kaput.  (If not then I suppose you're not reading this blog and it doesn't apply to you.)  I've made a blog with the Frugal Trophy Wife name (only its a blogspot domain/blog) but can't decide if that's me or not.  If I'm honest, this blog doesn't feel like a good fit either though. 

My questions for you:
 
  • What factors does a blog name/domain play in your reading? 
  • How do you feel (as a commenter) about blogger versus wordpress?
  • What are you favorite parts of my blogging (either here or at FTW)?
  • How did you decide upon your own domain (assuming you have a blog)?
  • What pages/tabs do you like to see on blogs?
  • What kind of information do you like in an "about me" section? Mine for blogger is terribly outdated.

Your questions for me:

  • Do you have anything you want to know about me?  I tend to spill my guts about anything and everything, so its doubtful any questions are off limits.  Bari has a 20 questions page on her blog to supplement her "about me" and I love that idea!  Hit me up in the comments, via email, or on twitter if you have a question which would help readers get to know me.
  • I don't really have a 2nd bullet point, but I don't think you can have one without the compliment so I'm really just typing words now...

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the loss of the other blog. I would be really bummed too!
    To answer your questions - blog name and domain don't make a big difference to me.
    I really don't care for Wordpress blogs - I think blogger is much easier to use and comment on as long as there is no word verification.
    I like hearing about your life. I also enjoy the frugal posts. I'm not into the weight loss posts, but it's not like they bother me. :)
    I chose blogger because that's what most of my friends had and it's all I knew.
    Pages, tabs - no preferences.
    About you - I like to know where a person is from, married, kids, what they do...
    I've got no questions - I think I know you pretty well, and I think you are pretty special!
    Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog names/domains don't matter to me. As a commenter, the only thing about wordpress that bothers me is if it doesn't save my info. But I can't stand the new word verification that some blogger blogs have. Hmm...favorite parts? When you talk about your life, trips, & budget stuff. As for my domain name, I'm not sure if I picked it before I had my email address or not ~ but they go together. I like to see "About Me" tabs. And if there's something they talk about on a regular basis that isn't in the About Me, then I like a tab for that subject as well. As for the about section, I like to know where you come from, if you're married or not, kids or not, hobbies, favorite things, random (maybe quirky) things, and what they write about. I love the 20 questions idea, but I can't think of anything to ask. I'll let you know if I come up with something. You certainly CAN'T have one bullet point without another, so I thoroughly appreciate you adding a second one for we obsessive-type people! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of Blogger, only because it's owned by Google, and so many people have gmail or Google accounts that it's easier for them to comment. I do have a WordPress login, but it is cumbersome for me to sometimes leave comments unless someone has an easy enough plugin that they're using.

    Domain names are not issues for me, in terms of keeping me on a blog. (Though, I had added your blogspot address into my reader, and it just picked back up. So I knew you were blogging somewhere, I just wasn't seeing it in my Reader!)

    I like About sections. And I like my own domain, because there is a (somewhat short) story behind it. So that's why I've changed names and I plan on sticking with it for a while.

    And favorite features of your blog? I like the financial talk (because I'm a nerd), the running discussions - race reports, training updates, etc. And I like just every day posts about what you're up to, family, etc. (That interests me about a lot of blogs.)

    Blog about what makes you feel better. Blogging should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't care about the name of a blog. I might wonder what it means and how they came up with it, but that can be addressed in the "about me" section.

    As a commenter, I doesn't matter to me who hosts the blog. As a blogger, I say wordpress all the way.

    I love to hear about your races and training...which are also the tabs I tend to gravitate towards when I see them on blogs. I like to know how people do what they do.

    It took me a long time to come up with my blog name. I finally adapted something I have hanging on my vision board that says "It's You Vs. You". I think that fits my every day perfectly...struggling with myself to make the right choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. Domain and blog name mean very little to me -- I'm drawn to the personality and voice of the blog more than a name. And I'm not into "branding"...in fact it usually makes me roll my eyes when someone talks about it. Ha.

    I can usually comment on blogger fairly easy; have run into a few issues on wordpress but nothing I can't get past eventually. Just usually can't comment on my phone.

    I love your blog because it reminds me of me -- eclectic with a lot of interests. You write about your life (every post is about one facet of your life), and I love that. I love the running/fitness posts because they inspire me. I love the frugal posts because it's nice to know that we aren't the only family who budgets strictly. I love the deeper posts because you aren't afraid to get real. And I love the day to day posts that give us a glimpse into your life.

    So...don't change anything. Ha. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. (and by "it reminds me of me" I mean it's relatable. It's 1 am, I'm not doing the thinking so well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Domain names don't really mean much to me. I just want to read blogs that inspire me, teach me, make me laugh, and challenge me.

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?