March 17, 2011

The Least of These

Last night was my first time helping out with Lost Sheep Ministries feeding the homeless of Knoxville under the interstate bridge.  What more appropriate time then this to participate in "Thankful Thursdays" hosted, this month, by Grace Alone?




34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’


37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’


40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25: 34-40  (source)

Those of you who follow me on twitter, its well known that I've been struggling with the committments I've made for Lent.  Giving up carbinated beverages and praying before every meal.  Doesn't sound too awfully difficult does it?
 
For the past 9 7 days, my friends have listened to me whine about my headaches and encouraged me to press on.  Keeping at it has gotten easier.  The headaches haven't went away, but with each day I get more and more angry at this substance that has addicted me.  That anger makes me more resolute in following through.
 
Last night?
 
I didn't know how I would feel going in.  Would I be judgmental?  Would I openly weep for them?  Would I be able to treat them as individuals rather than objects of pity? 
 
What I felt was humilty.
 
I was put in the beverage line offering several options: fruit punch, orange juice, tea, white milk, and chocolate milk.  Most people reached for the milk, until we ran out.  Orange juice was the second most popular. 
 
What stood out to me?  Only one person asked for soda.  Sure they are probably use to their choices, since they don't change much week to week.  But over and over again, they were reaching for that which would nurish them most.
 
How pathetic, weak, and foolish I am!
 
Sure there is nothing wrong with enjoying food - if you have that luxury.  But how spoiled am I to forget that, at its base, its a sustainer of life. 
 
So today I would like to pause to thank My Sustainer.  For nurishing food and beverages.  For life.  For forgivenness.  For my home (with or without mice).  For a life so wonderful, I forget to appreciate it.
 
What are you thankful for today?

12 comments:

  1. I have so much to be thankful for, and so often I take it for granted. Good for you for sticking to your commitments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your transparency! He is the one who sustains! He sustains as we abstain!
    Blessings,
    Steanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful. It's great that we have individuals like you who take time to help those less fortunate. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When many cities around us were without electricity during the recent ice storm, I became VERY grateful for heat and lights! Brooke, may God bless you in your ministry to the poor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have alternately feared and loved those verses--depending on how faithful I'm being to them in my life! I love how God uses such daily experiences to teach us His big lessons. Thanks for sharing your story here. It reminded me that I have so much for which to be thankful. And thanks for visiting me at Doorkeeper! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the verses you shared...thanks for stopping by The Chuppies this morning.
    ~Kara

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah yet another wonderful eyeopening post!! thanks Brooke!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Brooke! How wonderful to have our eyes opened sometimes by new experiences ~ not just to the experience itself, but to great spiritual parallels along the way. God is so good to use these things to teach us more about Himself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for nourishing me with this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brooke - I'm often guilty of complaining about this and that. And for me, if I don't have my iced tea - I get a bit perturbed. Your post made me realize that I need to stop more often and count my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing how impactful this simple things are, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not to make light of this post and its real meaning...But I am thankful that she still loves me even though a person who had just got out of line came up to me talking and thought I was homeless as well! Nobody ever claimed she married me for my looks, clothing style, and being well groomed! --- The "Mutant"

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?