June 26, 2012

Displaced

I feel a little displaced at the moment.  Reading the farmhouse for the market makes me feel like its not our home anymore.  Sure I need to keep it clean, nice, but I can't pack up everything yet. Need to keep it looking "lived in" but spotless.  Yeah, right!

We're in transition, but its not time to shift yet.  Yesterday afternoon/evening Jay and my dad worked at the cabin on the landscaping.  My mom and I took them supper, then headed over to the pool.  I had hoped to meet some of my neighbors (something I vowed to do in this community that I failed to do in our last), yet I struck out swinging.

While the subdivision is made up of a mix of permanent residence, vacation homes, and overnight rentals - the only families at the pool were overnight rentals.  Instead of making friends with the neighbors, I felt like I should have had a stack of Jay's business cards.  They asked about the cost of living in the area, how much we gave for our cabin (yeah, they went there) and questions about the real estate market in general.

Likewise, I feel like I'm in a transition in my spiritual life.  I know God has big plans for me (ala Jeremiah 29:11) but we're just not there yet.  I feel like I don't belong in a typical southern church, yet the hip-and-trendy churches aren't a good fit either.

Looking at the church calendar, I get stressed about the ministry I'm involved in (funny change from this time last year huh?) yet somehow I feel like I'm not doing enough.  Not in that ministry, just over all.  I suppose my feelings betray my thoughts on my current ministry - making sure the preacher's microphone is turned off/on at the appropriate times does little to nothing to advance the kingdom.

I write my thoughts knowing they aren't true, so I suppose I need a reminder of that.


  • The audio ministry does make a difference, every time a home-bound church member receives a copy of the previous Sunday's service.
  • "Love your neighbor" doesn't just extend to the person next door who bakes you a cake on your birthday but also to the transient just passing through.
  • Love and serve God.  The place is of little consequence.  Follow Him and the rest will follow.

How are you growing in the body of Christ right now?  In what areas of your life could you use your bloggy neighbors praying with you?

In the non-spiritual side of things, what's the last nice thing you did for your flesh-and-blood neighbor?  Or they did for you?

3 comments:

  1. This is a tough one. My neighborhood is ethnically diverse, and no one mingles, except the dog owners. One neighbor and I discuss gardening and I give her plants.

    My church is in a transition period. We have a new pastor, and his style is so different than the last. I'm just trying to go with the flow. I'm getting more out of being part of the community garden the church started, than anything else right now. Sad to say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our pastor has turned in his resignation and is only staying through July, so i'm anxious about the direction ours will go as well.

      although i would challenge your "sad to say" i think that being the hands and the feet of the church by working in the garden SHOULD be one of the most effective parts of the church, but i get what your saying. we typically judge our church by the 1 hour weekly service.

      Delete
  2. I feel like I'm in a good place in my local body of believers. Sometimes I do too much, but I have NOT done some things lately ~ which is a good thing for me! This summer, I am participating in a women's Bible study (not leading), and I am co-leading a student study on Mondays & small group time on Sundays. Other than that, I hang out with the students (which can feel more like FUN than ministry)!

    As for prayer, you know this already: peace as we approach scan time & that the insurance company would approve them already so I don't have the additional stress factor!

    Our neighbors are outside more when it's not so stinkin' hot, so I've had the opportunity to get to know them more than I have at other places. I haven't done much for them lately, but Ryan & Kristi let me borrow his car when Christopher's wouldn't start!

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?