May 31, 2010

Today we remember...

those that have given their lives for freedom.

Like Pvt. Ray Worth, an unmarried farmer, drafted into duty during World War II.  He gave his life during the Normandy invasion.  My Papaw was never directly informed how his brother died, but after the war a fellow soldier came to visit my great grandmother to recount the story.

My great uncle was killed by enemy fire before his boat ever even made it to the beach.

Having no wife or kids to remember him, once his brothers and sisters have passed away there will be no one left to remember his sacrifice.  My mother, along with Jay & myself, go every year to remember an uncle she never had the privilege of meeting.  She and my father take an American flag, while Jay & I cut fresh wild flowers to put on his grave.

Who do you remember?

6 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful tribute! I remember all the soldiers who died while my husband was in Iraq. They all went, but not all came home alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you remember him. Very nice tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was beautiful. I am so thankful for the men and women who serve our country and sacrifice so that we can live in freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tribute! We all said a little prayer this morning for all the soldiers who have bravely served our country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. Our city remembers everyone that fought and is buried there. About 100+ names are read off.

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?