January 13, 2009

First Book of 2009

I finished my first one last night!! :) With the help of Mr. Right.

No, he didn't read to me - not sure how romantic that would be, given the book's subject matter (labor strikes during the great depression).

Last night (as always thanks to Redbox) was movie night. I took the free code and rented Run, Fatboy, Run.

Mr. Right wanted to get straight into the movie, so by the time I got home from the gym, cooked dinner, and we sat down to eat, it was already 6:45. I fixed Cuban Black Beans (will report back tomorrow on the recipe and details - I want to wait to get an accurate cost breakdown), so we were both too stuffed for our tradional Monday night popcorn.

After the movie was over I got up to do dishes. I had ran the dishwasher over the weekend, but hadn't had a chance to unload it. Mr. Right told me to stay on the couch and he would do dishes all by himself.

Now if I would have read this blog 2 years ago I would have thought "big deal, you cooked, he should have cleaned up". But the realities of having a self employed spouse don't work that way. Since he works far more than 40 hours a week, he is often returning clients emails after dinner and can't help with dishes.

I should also say, that he wanted to open his 6 lb can of jalepenos to give his beans and rice an extra kick. I told him that he couldn't use my good plastic storage containers for the leftovers, since I was quite certain the jalepeno twang would never wash out.

After dinner it felt sort of sinful really - me sitting on the couch, reading my book, while he found a home for 5.90 lbs of jalepenos, unloaded the dishwasher, and finished up dinner dishes.

But it was worth it. I finally finished Sea Glass by Anita Shrieve. I started it on our honeymoon over two months ago, and I just haven't taken the time to read like I should.

I've decided to post my reading list (as I complete them) on this blog, that way you guys can hold me accountable. I can be ashamed if I reach March without finishing another.

1 comment:

  1. Did you like the movie? I saw it and found it pretty funny!

    And yay for a Hubby that does the dishes! What a blessing@

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?