February 06, 2009

February Monthly Challenge


Over at Frugal Hacks, they are challenging us to adopt a new behavior for a month, and see how well that works for us.

My challenge for the month is staying out of the grocery store. I currently have a well stocked pantry, so I should be able to pull it off. My menu plan for the month is complete, and requires no shopping on my part.

Lunch is the only challenge I foresee right now. I've got about a weeks worth of canned soup in my desk at work, as well as some Lean cuisine meals in the freezer. I might have to get a little creative and make a hamburger helper to bring to work for a couple days near the end of the month.

I look forward to the challenge!

Update - This is a post I composed at the first of the month, and I've already 'failed' in the challenge. Kroger had their lunch meat on sale for $1 a pack - and I had $1 off when you buy two coupon. This was a deal I just couldn't past up.

My total was $11.73 for several packets of sliced turkey & ham (which doesn't expire till the end of March and can be frozen as is), $1 bagged salad, and a couple of green peppers and onions.

The purpose of the goal is to make sure that I would/could actually use the items in my stockpile, not to deprive myself of a great deal and pay more later.

I've set a new goal of getting through the month and only spending $20 total at the grocery store. Which could be a challenge...depend on next week's sale flyer!

For more Frugal Friday ideas, check out Crystal's Biblical Womanhood blog.

4 comments:

  1. A girl after my own heart! Trying to stay of the grocery store for a whole month is just beyond my capabilities! Those sale ads every Sunday tempt me to the point of no return! I just gotta get my deals. :) Oh and I even tried sending hubby with a list and that doesn't work either cause he spends & gets more than what was on the list.

    So I set a goal for the month and try to stick within that goal and still get the deals that come up every week. :)

    I hope that you achieve your goal for the month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have tried this before and I cant do it! I look at the sales and there always at least one or two things that I just cant pass up. I used to grocery shop twice a month, but now I go once a week.

    Hope you do well for the rest of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I have broken my budget promises to myself twice so far this year. I couldn't pass up some $.50 cereal and canned items last week. I tried to make myself feel better about it by putting about 1/2 of it out with the other food I had set out for the boy scout food drive on Saturday. I still feel guilty though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $20 a month at the grocery store? Oh my gosh! Good luck. I can't imagine doing that. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?