February 17, 2009

Mr. Right and I become an official couple

I'm glad yall are loving this series! I wrote these not long after he and I started dating, and its fun for me to go back and remember the early days.


Mr. Right and I went several days between the KFW date and our follow up date. I left for Green Bay the following morning to see Brett Favre play at Lambeau Field. I got back on October 30th, but had previously committed to a church drama both that day and Halloween.

We had decided to meet that Wednesday (the 1st of November) to go to dinner and a movie. He had read in a Myspace bulletin that I had posted that Olive Garden was my favorite restaurant. He decided we would have dinner there, and follow it up with the movie Man of the Year, starring Robin Williams.

A friend of mine insisted that I dress up on all of our initial dates. However at this point, I desperately wanted to break out my tennis shoes and wear my brand new long sleeved tee that I had gotten at the game the previous weekend. I can’t remember exactly how I brought it up, but I pretty much came out and asked him if he would mind me dressing down a bit. He of course said no, and even offered to wear tennis shoes himself.

I remember being so nervous about what I was wearing. I had worn heels or heeled boots on each of our previous dates because I wanted to look nice for him, but I also didn’t want him to get the impression that I was a prissy girl. I wanted him to like me, but I didn’t want him to like me because of this false front I was putting out there. There is no way to describe just how nervous I was before this date—and I didn’t know the half of what was to come!!

Dinner was wonderful, but uneventful. After we finished eating there was some time to kill before the movie started, so we headed over to Five Oaks to check out a few of the outlet stores. We sat on the bench out front and I showed him my pictures from Lambeau. Then we went into Old Navy and I helped him pick out a new pair of jeans. As he went to pay, he noticed his credit card wasn’t in his wallet so we had to go back to the Olive Garden where he had left it.

When we got to the movie theater, I shared some stories about back in the day when I use to work there. As we made our way down the hall, I pointed to the corner ‘He broke up with me right there.’ Mr. Right—who knew which ex I was referring too and that we were still currently friends—laughed and went on to ask me how that ex was currently doing. I told him that the ex’s wife had left him for another man, even being so bold as to change her relationship status from “married” to “in a relationship”.

After a brief pause Mr. Right said, “You know I was thinking about changing my status too. What do you think about that?” I tried not to squeal from delight and then proceeded to confirm that I, too, wanted to put my status as in a relationship. The movie was horrible. The phrase “Its got Robin Williams in it, how bad can it be?” could has never been so wrong. None of that mattered—Mr. Right wanted me to be his official girlfriend.

As our talking on Myspace had progressed, I had put him in my top friends and kept track of where I was on his top friends list. I was careful to never put him higher on my list than I was on his. Up until that night, I had been his #3 and he was my #4. The next morning at work, I logged on to change my status. Not only had he changed his status, he also moved me up to #1 on his friends list. I quickly did the same.

8 comments:

  1. Yeah for being official! I love that you were both doing the top friend thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha -- don't you love the myspace/facebook official notification? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I haven't tried making the meatloaf beforehand, have you? It's a brilliant idea- would make things much easier!

    I'm so impressed with your $20 shopping this month! that is fabulous. Taking my pantry and making something exciting is proving to be very challenging for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving reading every bit. You are such a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay - I just back read a few of your love story blogs...haha I love it! You're an entertaining story-teller!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! I LOVE hearing how ppl get together!

    How funny is that-monitoring top friend placement status! Lol! I'm guilty of that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta love "love in the digital age". Who knows what my life would have been like if FB was around in college.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your stories....love the friend placement status...that is sooo something I would(have) do!!!!

    m :)

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?