February 23, 2009

Menu Plan Monday - the Lent Edition



Monday: Omelets

Eggs were on sale last week $0.99 for a dozen, so I got two. Now I’m trying to figure out how to use them up.

Tuesday: Spaghetti

I’m going to make a double batch to freeze. Normally I make it with a packet of McCormick’s seasoning and a can of tomato paste, I think I’m going to add a can of Italian diced tomatoes and a green pepper to the mix.

Wednesday: Salsa Chicken with corn

Thursday: Black Bean Soup
I’ve had this on the menu all month, and I’ve yet to make it. Hopefully I’ll get it done this week.

Friday: Ramen noodles

I try to do something easy on Fridays, most weeks I only end up cooking 4 days a week. I leave Friday open with a quick/easy plan that requires nothing to be thawed. That way if I end up not cooking it, I’m not stuck with any meat to use before it goes bad.

I’ve got a question for those of you that observe Lent – is Friday completely meatless or can you use meat seasonings (like chicken flavored ramen) or chicken? Also is Sunday your free day to indulge?

My cousin always has sworn that Baptist’s don’t participate in lent because we give up everything year round (drinking, dancing) and are submissive to our husbands.

Thankfully, I’m saved by the blood of Christ, not the faith of the Baptist church, otherwise, I’d be in trouble! I’m not a very good Baptist.

For more great meal ideas, check out Menu Plan Monday!

13 comments:

  1. ahh you are so organized, those dinners sound awesome...T and I have such different schedules that our dinners seem to always be random...I always seem to have an omelete...lol quick and easy!!!

    m :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way we always did Lent Fridays was no meat at all, including chicken flavored ramen. You can have fish and eggs though. I can check with the experts for you and find out! Is it Lent already? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the Catholic Church says "condiments from animal fat" are acceptable during Lent. No idea what that means. I have also heard that broth made from meat is acceptable, but this is a point of contention among some.

    While I try to follow the Lenten regulations, I also try to keep their spirit in mind (since Jesus emphasized that we are unable to follow the law to the letter!). The spirit is that of penance -- giving up something you're accustomed to because you are truly sorry for sinning.

    Have a blessed Lent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can put Chili's down for one of your nights. You won my giveaway!! Email me your address and I'll put it in the mail for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know all the rules about Lent since I'm not Catholic, but I can say this from living in a Catholic city: most restaurants serve only fish and seafood on Fridays. I think those are the only meats you can have (based on restaurant menus). LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I come over on Wednesday and Thursday? I'll skip Friday--I had enough Ramen as a kid to last a lifetime! lol Great price on eggs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Salsa Chicken, YUM!!!
    - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to have breakfast for dinner. We usually makes eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and toast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really wished I had eaten before I read this! Yummie....I made it through another work out today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had ramen in a while! I need to go shopping!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. love omelets and scrambled eggs are even easier. Saturday mornings here you will find one or the other

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've done chicken flavored ramen on Lenten Fridays before... I always went with the idea that if it wasn't real meat it didn't count. ;) That's not any official ruling, just my own opinion.

    I think anyone who wants to use Lent as a time of extra reflection and sacrifices should, regardless of denomination.

    I put my menu together late this week, but it's HERE if you'd like to take a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For all your extra eggs I recommend this: http://porterhouse.typepad.com/porter_house/2008/03/spanish-tortill.html

    Olive oil is even good for you!

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?