October 20, 2008

Pocket change

I feel poor. Quite odd given the fact that I’m wearing a Moda trench coat, Express slacks, and pumps from a major department store. Not to mention the 46 diamonds adorning my neck and left hand.

Why do I feel like I’m destitute? Because I just carried a Dollar Tree plastic bag full of rolled coins to deposit into my savings account. Take a moment to grasp the ridiculousness of that statement:
1. I have money
2. I am fortunate enough to put it in a savings account, instead of using it to meet my monthly bills

I also need to mention that I wasn’t just depositing the $22.50 in coins. My mother had given me the remainder of the money for my wedding – so I was depositing a few thousand. And I felt poor.

I honestly believe that the same rational behind my thinking is behind the financial mess this country is in. We don’t want to acknowledge that we use (or need) pocket change to purchase things. Better to swipe your plastic card at each transaction, than to fool with change or even cash in the form of bills.

People see what we have, not who we are. And if we are judged by our things, we need to be sure that we have the best. As my pastor said this weekend – we spend money that we don’t have to buy things we don’t need, to impress people that we don’t even like.

I have recognized over and over during the wedding planning how blessed I really am.
• Fiancé that loves me
• Parents that love me
• Parents that can afford to pay the tab
• Being showered with generous gifts
• One of which is our honeymoon lodging paid in full
• Beautiful first home.

So why is it that I let the world get to me? Is Christ (and His blessings) not enough for me? Am I that greedy to want more – when I know that there are plenty of people that would love just ONE of my many blessings?

No comments:

Post a Comment

what up yo?