October 20, 2008

Weekend Wedding Aventure

Friday night Mr. Right and I went to dinner and just hung out. I was exhausted, so I slept in till noon that next morning. My mother and I had a communication failure regarding the wedding we were attending on Saturday. I thought she told me that we had to leave the house around 6 to make it time. In actuality, the wedding started at 4:44, so we needed to leave at 4 o’clock. I only had 2 hours to do things around the house before starting to get ready. Normally I’m not that big of a diva – it only takes me an hour to get ready, but there were special circumstances involved.

I pushed myself a little too much, and by 4:05 my mom and grandparents were growing impatient with me. I finally dug a pair of pants out of the dirty clothes hamper and headed out the door. Mr. Right was asked to drive, but had 3 backseat drivers to help him along. Knowing that we’re running late, he tries to take the curvy road as quickly as possible. All the while my grandfather is shouting directions in his ear, my grandmother is pointing out house after house and telling him names of people that he doesn’t know use to live there, and my mom is complaining that she’s about to get car sick.

We finally make it to the wedding on time and the backdrop is gorgeous. Unfortunately, I left my camera in the car so I have no photos to share. The wedding itself was on rolling farmland with the mountains in the background. They had several unique touches to the ceremony. As guests arrived, we were direct to an archway to have a photograph taken. Then each guest signed one of the pages in the book, and the family planned on going back and adding the photograph to the book.
The bride arrived by horse drawn carriage. A sad moment in the wedding came when the bride and groom released birds to honor the memory of their loved ones that have passed away – including her brother who died less than a year ago.

As the ceremony closed out, we headed back to our cars and off to the reception site. Good food and good company (family that we rarely have the opportunity to see) made for a nice meal. The bride and groom started the party with their first dance, the father/daughter dance (the father of the bride couldn’t dance, so he sat in a chair while the bride danced with her husband. Then came the dollar dance – I was proud of my mother for having the nerve to get up in front of everyone and dance with the groom!

As the toasts began, the fun came to a screeching halt. One of the guests was having a seizure. Apparently they were nothing new to him, but of course we all stopped the festivities to try and help out in any way possible – which for most of us meant just staying out of the way. Once he was taken care of, the speeches started again, but the old farts I had come with were ready to head home.

It was a gorgeous wedding – but just like any other wedding it had its highs and lows. The lows made me a little anxious for my big day. I worry that my day might not run as smoothly as I have it all planned out in my head.

2 comments:

  1. A wedding at 4:44?? I don't think I could be that punctual, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've so been there...pulling pants out of the dirty clothes hamper to wear :)

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?