October 22, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday: Dining Room Chairs



When my great-grandmother passes away five years ago, I asked to be able to keep her kitchen table and china cabinet. She loved the formal feel that they had, and even though her house was way to small for them, she found room. If anyone wanted to get up from the table, the had to suck in, but she loved it.

I love my Mamaw, so I wanted to keep something that meant so much to her. I didn't have a home yet, so my mother let me store it in her basement. While the seats looked old fashioned, the rest of the table was in good shape.






I had decided that it was time to let the table go. I didn't foresee myself having a formal dining room and I had other things that belonged to her to keep for cherished memories.

Only I was wrong - Mr. Right and I found "the one" when we were house shopping and it had a formal dining room table! The only problem was making those 1970s chair more modern.

Thankfully, my father is crafty when it comes to things like that. He told me to purchase fabric that I liked and that he would recover them. In my kitchen, I have one red accent wall. Its the main wall in the kitchen and the vaulted ceiling makes it even more gorgeous.

One thing my Mamaw and I shared was the love of the color red. Her entire bedroom was decorated in red: bed spread, satin sheets, chair, vases, lamps. The last formal pictures she had made (when she was in her 70s) was in her favorite red dress. When I found my red fabric that matched the wall in the kitchen, I knew it was perfect. It would make the chairs look nice, and she would have loved them!






I can't tell you all the steps to covering them. But from what I understand its as simple as unscrewing the seat from the chair, folding the fabric around the base and securing it with a staple gun, and then screwing the seat back onto the chair. In this case, he left the old covering on and just covered over it, to give the chair a little more cushion.






Hand-me-downs, family memories, and arts & crafts projects for my dad all work for me!

Head over to Rocks in My Dryer for more great tips and tricks.

8 comments:

  1. Oooh -- the chairs look so pretty!!! So regal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke! That red looks awesome! Love it! Now you have your Grandmother's chairs---only improved.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. It's nice to meet you.

    Be sure to give that recipe a try! You'll be glad you did.

    Rena Gunther

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job; what a treasure!

    Blessings, Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brooke, Great to hear from you! I love these rich chairs along with the rich history of love behind them. What a treasure. Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That red chair looks terrific!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great. What a great way to update something to work for you but keep the memories that the pieces hold for you. Good for you for keeping family important and for making those chairs look marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chairs look great! I have some dining room chairs that don't match the rest of the room very well. I'll have to get brave and look into re-covering them.

    Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog today.
    ~carol @ i throw like a girl

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chairs look great! I have some dining room chairs that don't match the rest of the room very well. I'll have to get brave and look into re-covering them.

    Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog today.
    ~carol @ i throw like a girl

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?