September 23, 2009

Weigh-in Wednesday - Maintenance Week

Last week I weighed in at my goal weight of 125.0, this week's challenge was to gradually increase my calories until I got to my maintenance weight. Unfortunately, I've already hit a bump in the road.

This week's weight: 126.2
Maintenance weight: 125

It could be a combination of things so I'm trying not to stress over it too much. Emphasis on trying.

Setting the little scale bump aside, I wanted to tell you about my victory this week: running 6 miles.

Saturday afternoon while everyone else was watching the University of Tennessee get pounced by the Florida Gators, I laced up my running shoes to complete my long run for the week.

Jay had originally offered to join me, but said that the 23-6 score was just too close for him to abandon the Vols yet. My run consists of a 3 mile loop, so I told him I would give him a call when I circled back around.

Then the down pour came at mile 2, and I knew he would never join me. I bypassed the house and started on mile 4, which consists of 3 hills. Those hills aren't so scary when they are on mile 1 of the run, but by mile 4 they were difficult.

I had a cramp in my side so I had to focus on breathing so I wouldn't give up. Once I made it past the hills to mile 5 I knew I was home free - so I started dreaming about my place in the sisterhood.

I'll just tell ya, you learn a lot about yourself when you're alone with nothing but your thoughts and an occasional "hello" from a neighbor for over an hour.

So wanna here my day dream? I got to thinking about how the Sisterhood has a triathlon expert, a calorie counting expert, and a weight watchers expert. I dreamed of being the maintenance expert of the sisterhood (after this week's numbers I need to keep dreaming).

Okay I'll give you a moment to snicker.

Hey if you're gonna dream - dream big!

At mile 6 I really felt like I could have kept going, so I was confident of this week's 7 mile run.

That run is today, but I'm changing it up so I don't feel quite as confident. The half marathon course description says that its flat to rolling with one "standard deluxe" hill at mile 8.

Which means I've got to start training my hills at the end of the run. A running friend of mine said I should probably do my 2 miles over and over, and then do the hills at the end of my run. So I shall start that plan today. 5 miles of easy running finishing up with a mile of hills.

I'm already hurting!

12 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone else is as fit to fill that spot as you!!!

    I wish I could run like you! shoot, I wish I could run more than a block LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, 6 miles! that's awesome!!! yes, those long runs leave a lot to think about, it's a scary place to be sometimes, in your own head!!! you are going to ROCK THIS HALF!!!!

    (ps. i def wouldn't say triathlon expert! hahahaha!)

    but you're rockin the maintenance part that's for sure!!! (i wouldn't call that gain anything to be worried about, we fluctuate all the time!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to giggle about the "too close" score bit. Yeah, it was like that in Anthony's eyes too :)

    Great job running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get tired THINKING about six miles...you're killer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome Brooke! 6 miles is quite an accomplishment. Glad you stuck with it even thru the rain...that's dedication!

    Sorry about the game...I was cheering for Tennessee too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the 6 miles and still feeling strong! Right now I'm lucky if I can push my sorry booty out the door to do a 2 mile run! I love the quiet moments of running, with just my thoughts...it's such a great way to think things out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, girl, look at you go!! That's such a huge accomplishment....no way could I run, let alone walk, that distance!! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO proud of you!!!! Six miles? WOW!!!!!! Way to go, Brooke!!

    So on the maintenance thing, it's my biggest fear. Seriously. Sometimes I think I'm scared to lose the rest of my weight because I don't really know what to do when I get to goal. It's totally unknown. With that being said, I think it's normal for it to take you awhile to get into the maintenance comfort zone (at least that's what I'm going to tell myself when I get there!).

    Keep up the good work, girl. I think you would make an awesome maintenance expert at the Sisterhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck on the weight loss. I dont like running but Ill do walking lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the 6 miles! That's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome run, and congrats on reaching your goal weight last week!!! No worries, sometimes it seems like just looking at the scale wrong can cause a 1.2 lb blip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hills are killer, I don't envy you that. But I know with your drive and determination, you are going to do amazing!

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?